Friday, October 3, 2008

French Bread

This recipe is so easy and takes very little hands on time.

1 T. yeast
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 C. warm water
1/4 C. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/8 C. oil
2 C. hot water
6 C. flour

In a bowl ad 1/2 cup warm water, sprinkle the yeast and 1 tsp. sugar over the water. Let sit until yeast has dissolved. Stir together. Mix in 1/4 C. sugar, salt, oil, and water. Add the flour, 1 cup at a time. Knead bread for three minutes.
Cover with a cloth and let rise until doubles. Divide into two pieces.
Roll like a jelly roll.
Sprinkle corn meal on bottom of a baking sheet. Put bread on sheet, let rise 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Sometimes I find I need a little more flour, or a little less. I add more flour as I knead the dough and it gets sticky.

Sometimes I roll out the dough to make breadsticks.

4 comments:

Amie said...

this looks great. Thanks Lexie!

Kristina said...

This recipe and the Baked Ziti Lexie used when she brought us dinner, and I asked her to post it here. It is really good! I have a new family Favorite. Thanks Lexie again.

Zandra said...

Wal-mart and Smith's were both out of French bread this weekend so I thought I would give this recipe a try. This bread is SO good- I don't think I will ever do store-bought again!!! Thanks Lexie!

trent said...

Emily--I hate to admit that I have not really made bread before. One night my brother-in-law's family was suddenly coming to dinner and I had not been to the store in preparation! I didn't have much time, but I whipped up your french bread. I was pretty proud of myself! It was easy, delicious, and dinner was a success. Thanks for your life-saving recipe!