Monday, August 25, 2008

Tomato Basil Pasta


If you have a garden and are wondering what to do with all those tomatoes, this is a winner. We've had it twice in the last week and it's a hit. I don't have a recipe, I just kind of throw it together, which is one thing I love about it, I also love that it tastes so yummy and costs so little!

1 lb of your favorite pasta (I like it with spaghetti)
4-6 cups diced tomatoes (a mix of varieties works great)
2-4 cloves garlic, diced
2-4 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1/4-1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2-3/4 cup shredded pecorino romano cheese (again, I like the Kirkland)
salt and pepper to taste

Cook the pasta in salted water. After you start the water for the pasta, add the olive oil to a large sautee pan over medium heat. Once it is hot, add garlic and tomatoes, salt and pepper and cook until tomatoes are falling apart and liquid from tomatoes has gone down by 1/3-1/2 (about 10-15 minutes). Toss with hot pasta and basil and half of the cheese. Use remaining cheese to top individual servings. Enjoy!

3 comments:

jessvb05 said...

Amie- This sounds so good and summery! I will have to try it next week. Yum!

sidney said...

Amie - Thank you for the recipe. It was delicious and a great use of our excess tomatoes!

Roshelle said...

LOL, I made up this same recipe. I like to throw in some capers too. mmmmmm