Saturday, August 23, 2008

Strawberry Buttermilk Gelato

This is another Cooking Light recipe (I know, I love Cooking Light:)). We tried it yesterday and it was delicious...so, run out and get some strawberries before it's too late and give it a try. *If you don't have an ice cream freezer, come borrow mine!

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
5 cups quartered strawberries (about 4 pints)
2 cups low-fat buttermilk

Preparation:
Combine sugar and water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour into a large bowl; cool completely.
Place strawberries in a blender, and process until smooth. Add strawberry purée and buttermilk to sugar syrup; stir to combine.
Pour the strawberry mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer, and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Yield
8 cups (serving size: 1/2 cup)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 134, FAT 0.8g (sat 0.3g,mono 0.2g,poly 0.1g); IRON 0.3mg; CHOLESTEROL 1mg; CALCIUM 48mg; CARBOHYDRATE 31.7g; SODIUM 17mg; PROTEIN 1.6g; FIBER 1.7g

6 comments:

Brittney said...

Sounds good, but what in the world is GELATO!? I asked Brent and he said "it's like ice cream but for French people!?" Is that correct?? Just gotta know!!

Brittney said...

Okay, okay.... so he says what he really said is "it's like ice cream made by italian people!?" Still, I have never heard that fancy word before!! Is it just me?! I think I need a cooking class!!!!

Andrea said...

I thought it was more like Gelatin...but creamier. ???

Amie said...

Okay Ladies! Cooking Lesson #1-
Gelato means "ice cream" in Italian. But, Italian ice cream is 100 times better than American, so we cannot call it "ice cream". I first tried it on my honeymoon in Venice (sigh) and it can't even be described. This recipe is great, but not quite the same as the real italian deal.

vicky said...

If you are too afraid to make your own you could go to Harmons and try gelato. I am sort of scared of anything European (no offense Amie)...NOT a big fan of their chocolate. I know lots of people LOVE their chocolate...but just give me some good old fashion, preservative-filled M&M's!

Amie said...

No offense taken, Vicky! I have actually tried gelato in a few places here in the US and it's never quite the same. But, it will give you an idea. I wouldn't be afraid of gelato, it's not something that you have to get used to in order to like it. If you like ice cream, you'll love it.
p.s. I LOVE the new Harmons by the way! :)