Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Healthy snacks...


When I am nursing I tend to be extra-hungry so I've been trying to get creative with my snacks so that I don't put even more extra weight on my already too-heavy body! Here are a few options:


Toast half of a whole-grain english muffin (if you can find "sprouted" whole-grain english muffins they're even better for you!) spread with 1-2 tsp part-skim ricotta. Drizzle with 1 tsp honey and top with fresh fruit of choice (I love it with berries or peaches).


Spread 1tsp natural peanut butter (or other nut butter) on a rice cake (look for brown rice cakes, popped corn cakes, or even soy cakes)


Smoothies with spinach, chia seed gel, carrots and frozen fruit (if you're curious about the seeds, call me and I'll give you the healthy scoop! They're sooo good for you!)


Low-fat yogurt with granola and fresh berries


A small handful of nuts and a small handful of dried fruit (preferably dried without sugar all over it!)


A few pita chips (you can make your own) with some guacamame


Apple slices with nut butter (I love almond butter with apples)


Shredded carrot stirred into some soft nuefchatel cheese (same as 1/3-less-fat cream cheese) and spread on a whole-grain cracker or bread
*Now if everyone would stop bringing me yummy treats, I might make some progress! :)
p.s. what do you like to snack on?

4 comments:

jessvb05 said...

Thanks for those ideas. I often get in snack ruts, so those are some great suggestion to add to our next grocery list.

The Wards said...

This is a great post - except now I really feel guilty about my kraft and keebler snack habits!!!!!!!!

Brittney said...

I think our new favorite snack is cutting up Granny Apples and dipping them in peach yogurt. It is the PERFECT combo of sweet and sour, so YUMMY!! And much better than some of the other snacks we eat at our house!!

We also like to eat Multi-Grain Club Crackers with some low-fat cottage cheese and paprika on top! YUM!
This is making me hungry...

Karen said...

I love potato chips and ice cream...