Sunday, August 23, 2009

LIGHT Turkey Sausage and Pepper Penne Pasta

I had to come up with a low fat/low calorie version of Sausage and Pepper Pasta since it's one of Jim's favorite meals and the original version is not so healthy.

1 Jennie O Smoked Turkey Sausage, sliced (it looks like a horse shoe before you cut it)
2 Peppers chopped ( I like a yellow and Red one)
1 small onion chopped
Barilla Plus Penne Pasta
1 Cup Skim Mozzarella Shredded Cheese
1 Hunts Traditional canned Spaghetti Sauce (it's pretty light for spaghetti sauce)
1 TBSP chopped garlic
crushed red pepper (to taste...alittle goes a long way)

Start cooking the Penne Pasta until al dente.

Heat a TBSP of Olive Oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and peppers (I added some salt and pepper to the peppers and onions at this point). Cook for about 5 mins then add the sliced turkey sausage (it's already cooked so you don't have to worry about that) Cook for about 5 more minutes then add the spaghetti sauce, garlic and red pepper. Let that simmer for atleast 5 minutes and then add the drained Penne Pasta. Mix together and add the mozzarella cheese.

I experimented with this tonight and it turned out really good. It's so much healthier than the other way I used to make it so I was pretty happy with myself :)

No comments: