Wednesday, November 5, 2008

good-for-you granola

I just made this the other day and it's almost gone already. I think it's really good and my kids and husband will eat it too! (don't let all the nuts scare you, they don't taste too strong).


Ingredients
Cooking Spray
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup chopped raw, unsalted walnuts
1/2 cup chopped unsalted almonds
1/2 cup chopped unsalted pecans
1/2 cup maple syrup (make sure it's 100% natural)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins, optional (I used golden and it was so yummy)

Directions
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl combine the oats, nuts, maple syrup, salt, cinnamon and the raisins, if using. Spread the mixture onto the baking sheet and bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Transfer the sheet to a cooling rack and let cool completely. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Makes 9 (1/2 cup) servings.
*It makes a great snack, I even sent a bag of it with Roland to work. It's also great with yogurt or, my favorite is to just eat it like cereal with milk and a few fresh berries (when they're in season and not expensive). My kids will eat it as a snack too. I just put some in a little bowl and they eat it dry.

No comments: