Monday, March 30, 2009

English Trifle

I made this last night for all of my local nieces and nephews - and it was super yummy. Just in time for spring and summer fruit! (sorry, no picture. I should have because it was beautiful!)

English Trifle

2-8 or 9 inch white cake layers, cooked and cooled (I used angel food cake)
2 pints fresh strawberries
1/4 c. sugar
2 bananas
1/4 c. orange juice
1 pint fresh blueberries
1 (3.5 oz.) box instant vanilla pudding (I used french vanilla)
2 c. milk
1 c. heavy whipping cream
slivered almonds (didn't have any)

Slice the strawberries and put sugar on them (you can omit this). Cut up bananas and put orange juice on them (I also didn't do this). Whip cream until it has stiff peaks, add alittle sugar to it. Whip pudding with milk and then mix with whipped cream.


Then tear up cake into 3/4 inch pieces. Layer in trifle bowl:
cake, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, pudding mixture - then repeat.

It was super good, but you can also do your own sort of thing. The original recipe didn't say for you to mix the cream with the pudding, but that's what I did. You could leave that out, and just put some whipped cream on the top at the end.


do you have any good trifle recipes? I must admit - I want to buy a bowl!

2 comments:

Amie said...

Doesn't Susan have a good one? I don't know how often she checks this so you may want to call her. Sounds delicious!

Misty said...

I have a recipe for one with brownies, cream, and a few other yummy things. Not exactly healthy, but I will have to find it. I also have a trifle dish if you ever need it.