Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Berry Almond Crumble Oatmeal

I've been feeling bad that I have not posted anything lately. To be honest, I haven't really cooked much (that first trimester will get you every time!). But, today the only thing I wanted was some oatmeal. Here is one of my favorite recipes (from quakeroats.com)



Ingredients
1/2 cup Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 cups fat-free milk or lowfat soy drink
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 cup frozen (do not thaw) or canned (drained) blueberries

Preparation
For topping, combine oats and almonds in medium skillet. Cook over medium-low heat 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until both are lightly browned. Cool completely. In small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Add oat mixture; mix well.


For oatmeal, bring milk and cinnamon to a boil in medium saucepan; stir in oats. Return to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cook 1 minute for quick oats, 5 minutes for old fashioned oats, stirring occasionally. Gently stir in blueberries. Continue cooking, until blueberries are heated through and most of liquid is absorbed, about 1 minute.
Spoon oatmeal into five cereal bowls. Sprinkle topping over oatmeal.


*I have also made the topping in smaller quantities for when I am just making a bowl of oatmeal in the microwave. I love the crunchy-sweet topping and it's great because it adds some protein!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I did not know you were expecting - CONGRATULATIONS Amie! That is very exciting!

Zandra said...

CONGRATULATIONS Amie!!! Hope all is going well